27 June, 2005

Land of the Dead - Some Brief Notes

Seven observations about Land of the Dead.

1. Dennis Hopper is awesome - zombies creep him out.
2. It frustrates me that dead creatures are perceived to be capable of evolving (i.e. get smarter).
3. A new aspect has officially arrived on the scene in zombie movies - humor. Thank God for a modern audience who requires more than mere gore to be entertained.
4. Once again - this movie proves that no matter how safe you feel in a city, if there's zombies around you're not. Get the crap out even if you're rich.
5. An armed society is a safe society - if the people in the building would have all had guns the zombies, as opposed to the humans, would have been overrun.
7. Last, but most certainly not least - Operarate only in the daytime. Night time is for defensive perimeters. Daytime is when we have our advantage over zombies - EYES THAT ARE NOT ROTTING. Please people....attempt to use all 5 senses - don't sacrifice perhaps your most important sense in surviving a zombie attack for the sake of distracting zombies with fireworks! That's just ludicrous.

Aight....those are the important observations that I got. Obviously there's more...they just aren't very important.


Anonymous Charles said...

Humor has always been a part of Zombie movies, just look Dawn of the Dead or Evil Dead. I expect a little more from a zombie expert such as yourself.

3:54 PM, June 30, 2005  
Blogger wheelz said...

Charles - I assume you're referring to the new Dawn of the Dead there cause the original....pretty questionable. Alas, I was referring to Romero zombie films. Obviously there was is humor in all the new ones (take the resident evil's for instance). I could have been more clear there, but there's my clarification.

11:20 PM, June 30, 2005  
Anonymous Charles said...

Well, we have different definitions of humor. I was most certainly refering to the Romero movies. The man included a "pie in the face" scene in Dawn of the Dead. Oh well, to each his own

4:43 PM, July 01, 2005  
Blogger wheelz said...

Charles - I won't deny attempted humor in the earlier Romero films. In Day of the Dead I assume the crazy soldier guys were meant for comic relief as well. But they certainly failed in that respect. I don't mind if you found his earlier stuff funny - I'm sure it made the experience better for you. I'm just speaking of my view of the attempted humor. The important parts of my post were the survival aspects.

11:11 PM, July 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home